market-farming - [Market-farming] NRCS hoophouse program

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Frederick.Crowley AT VALLEY.NET (Frederick Crowley)
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] NRCS hoophouse program
  • Date: 07 Sep 2011 09:43:30 -0400

--- Richard Stewart wrote:
In the end I think this simply shows us that the government should help
not-for-profit research and studies that are deliberately designed to benefit
ALL of us and stop simply handing money out to businesses in hopes to see a
return. It is difficult given our varied growing conditions and climates to
offer a one size fits all program....
--- end of quote ---

Actually the government used to "...help not-for-profit research and studies
that are deliberately designed to benefit ALL of us...."
It was done through the Extension Services of each state. However, over time
money was either 1) channeled to the loudest voices and away from small
farmers, or 2) cut from the budget, leaving Extension to seek and receive
industry funding.

Perhaps things like the NRCS hoophouse program represent an attempted end-run
around entrenched interests (albeit imperfectly executed) to get basic
research data from actual small scale farmers to better assess their needs.

Fred Crowley
Vermont