market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Insurance for the little farm

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: SaladG AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Insurance for the little farm
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 09:32:30 -0400 (EDT)

We have had a lot of trouble with insurance over the years and have found that the only way to protect yourself is to have a good product, or personal liability policy.  Some states vary with liability umbrella insurance but according to insurance law an umbrella only covers what happens on the farm itself, not the product that is taken off the farm to other locations, some agents tell different stories, but a good lawyer will give you the true story for your state. One of our growers in our area is a practicing attorney and he has been very helpful in getting the right information to all of us in our growers org. about this issue, he sells cider and wines.

Phil from Iowa