market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Business models: Market specialization

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Etienne Goyer <etienne.goyer AT outlands.ca>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Business models: Market specialization
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 14:05:54 -0400

On 11-07-18 07:22 AM, Richard Stewart wrote:
> Potatoes are our crop that we are bulking on so we have invested in a
> single row digger, a single row planter, and a chain sizer that will
> allow us to mechanical sort three different size groups. We sell
> everything and do not need to worry about bulk storage. Equipment
> investment is right around 8K give or take and we can now effectively
> manage 6 acres pf potatoes with no more than 2 people AND a harvest crew
> of 4 (who we hire on specifically for that harvest from the local
> community).

Around here, 50# bag of storage potatoes sells for 15$ in the fall.
It's a big seller, and it seems like potatoes are doing very good on my
soil (which I find surprising, given a pH of 7 and fairly heavy clay
loam), but I do not think I can make any money doing storage potatoes.
I plan on digging and selling my whole crop as new potatoes in the next
3-4 weeks. There's a huge demand for new potatoes, and the price is
fair on those.

How does that work in your part of the world?

Etienne