market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Business models: Market specialization

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: thamnophis AT gmail.com, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Business models: Market specialization
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 07:22:00 -0400

I have found that specialization is not about competition but meeting demand.  Demand here in Cincinnati is higher than supply in our area.  A farmer in theory could do both and diversify so they have a cash crop (or tow or three or even four) that is simple in and out super efficient and affordable for the buyer and thus buys bulk and then a small amount of diverse plantings for a smaller market that is more high end.

My observation is that this will only work IF you sell to bulk markets.  Be it placing 15 farms stands daily for sweet corn and tomatoes across a city or region or sell to bulk buyer that will take 3000 pounds of potatoes at a time.

So you need to work both ends, not just planting and field management but figuring out how to move the stuff once purchased.  Farmer's Markets alone will not support it, even large ones.

We still grow some conventional corn and beans still and we never have any "not sell" and you need to be able to do this with a bulk crop as well, be it conventional or organic.  So rather than worry about market "trends" we simply ask our customers what they want in bulk at a good price and focus on equipment and planting methods to allow is less work, quicker planting and harvest and ease of maintenance.

Potatoes are our crop that we are bulking on so we have invested in a single row digger, a single row planter, and a chain sizer that will allow us to mechanical sort three different size groups.  We sell everything and do not need to worry about bulk storage.  Equipment investment is right around 8K give or take and we can now effectively manage 6 acres pf potatoes with no more than 2 people AND a harvest crew of 4 (who we hire on specifically for that harvest from the local community).

I would not get caught up in "trends".  Either you have customers willing to pay a bit more for a local quality product that is fresh or you do not.  Most places do not have enough producers to fill needs for staple products much less trends.

My thoughts on the matter.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio