market-farming - [Market-farming] Potato and Potato Beetle (Was: blister bugs?)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Potato and Potato Beetle (Was: blister bugs?)
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 09:03:26 -0400

Bill

CPB also does a number on Eggplant.  We only grow a small amount of eggplant and hand pick larvae off the plants and crush them.

We migrate our potatoes and then plant soybean in the ground the following year.  Seem to do the trick in terms of manage the outbreak.  We are fortunate enough to have an oddly shaped piece of property and are able to move the plot form end of the farm to the other...about a mile.  If we keep increasing the size of potato plot we can still move it move it but we start running out of flat sandy ground that floods less regularly.

We JUST got our potatoes planted.  Our main crops are German Butterballs, Kennebecs, and Pontiacs, with specialty crops of Purple Majesties, Mountain Princess, Rose Fin Apple, and La Ratt.  I have never planted this late and and curious to see how that will effect yields and where leafing will fall into the CPB cycle.  Portions of our property are still under water and have been since the end of March.  We've never seen so much rain.  Flooding did bring about a foot of sand across the potato field and we chisel plowed this in and disced once things dried out enough to get equipment in.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855