market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] blister bugs?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Wiediger, Alison" <alison.wiediger AT hart.kyschools.us>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] blister bugs?
  • Date: Tue, 24 May 2011 21:28:54 +0000

You're right that blister beetles and Colorado Potato Beetles are different
insects. However, blister beetles come in two colorations. they can be
black/gray as you described, and they can also be brown striped. The body
shape is the same. Here in SC Kentucky, we are so lucky as to have both.
And, if you crush one on your skin, it does raise a blister. Interestingly,
before CPB's showed up here, blister beetles were called potato beetles, And
you sometimes hear really old-timers still call them that. Another
interesting tidbit, when I interviewed a potato grower from Colorado several
years back about growing "organically", and asked how he controlled Colorado
Potato Beetle, he informed me it was not a pest there. So, why is it called
Colorado Potato Beetle? He had no answer.

I sure wish we could get some drier weather!

Alison Wiediger, Au Naturel Farm

Sent from my iPad