market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] BCS vs. Troy-bilt

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Beth Spaugh" <lists AT rhomestead.com>
  • To: <gofish54 AT centurytel.net>, "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] BCS vs. Troy-bilt
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2011 19:09:17 -0400

We lucked onto a Kubota B6100D several years ago, 4 wd, 18 hp, with 42” rototiller, middle buster plow, corn cultivator, blade, snow thrower, rake, flail mower, for $5000. About the size of a riding lawn mower. It has been wonderful.  We just got a Kubota L3400 with front bucket for heavier jobs and to have the bucket.  We bought a 2 bottom plow and 5 foot disk for $200 each from another farmer. The L is wonderful, but not as efficient spacing since the between tire width is 38” and center to center if 59”. We did get to rent another farmer’s plastic mulch layer this week and used the L with it.  Found an old Fordson double toolbar that will become cultivator when I get row spacings finalized and sweeps mounted, and want a toolbar with a couple chisel points on it.  3 acres veg plus 3 acres poultry pasture. But, want to set up a toolbar with hilling disks on the B for potatoes – potatoes on 5 foot centers are not space efficient.

Beth Spaugh

Rehoboth Homestead, Peru NY

http://rhomestead.com      facebook/rhomestead

"How we eat determines, to a considerable extent, how the world is used." - Wendell Berry

"Without power over our food, any notion of democracy is empty." - Frances Moore Lappe