market-farming - [Market-farming] BCS vs. Troy-bilt (was Re: Market-farming Digest, Vol 100, Issue 16)

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] BCS vs. Troy-bilt (was Re: Market-farming Digest, Vol 100, Issue 16)
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 13:15:31 -0400

On 5/11/2011 at 1:05:53 PM, Road's End Farm wrote:
> Years ago, when I researched tillers, I found the Troybilt vibrated less than
> the BCS; so it was easier for me to use for long stretches, though for short
> periods of time they were about equal.
>
> The Troybilt I have also has a choice of tine speeds; if you ever have to
> work soils with clay in them that are borderline too wet (because the deluge
> is about to come back), a slower tine speed is supposed to do less damage.
>
> The hardest part about using the Troybilt (and, I suspect, also the BCS) is
> turning it at the ends of rows. The model I have weighs about 300 lbs. I'm 5"
> 2", female, currently in my late 50's, strong according to my city friends
> but not according to farm women.

I sold my Troy-bilt Horse and bought a BCS 732 tiller a few years back. I think the BCS is a superior tiller. First, it doesn't leave that untilled middle strip that the Troy-bilt does, which is not so big a deal in well-worked soil, but a real issue on weedy soil or sod. Second, while the machine as a whole is heavier, the BCS is at least as maneuverable as the Horse, and more so because it has a better reverse gear. Third, the ability to offset the handlebars is very nice when tilling even tough ground--you can operate it two-handed while remaining off the freshly tilled strip. Fourth, at least for me (a used Horse vs. a new BCS), the BCS had much less vibration.

But the best reason to sell the Troy-bilt and get a BCS was to get all the other great things that go on it. I couldn't live without my sicklebar mower and snowblower. I just bought a snow plow to move piles of leaves from landscapers, and I have my eye on a few other toys as well.

  Richard Robinson
 www.nasw.org/users/rrobinson/
 Hopestill Farm
 www.hopestill.com