market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 100, Issue 16

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: John Shong <johnshong AT centurytel.net>, Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Market-farming Digest, Vol 100, Issue 16
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 11:55:58 -0400

Years ago, when I researched tillers, I found the Troybilt vibrated less than the BCS; so it was easier for me to use for long stretches, though for short periods of time they were about equal.

The Troybilt I have also has a choice of tine speeds; if you ever have to work soils with clay in them that are borderline too wet (because the deluge is about to come back), a slower tine speed is supposed to do less damage.

The hardest part about using the Troybilt (and, I suspect, also the BCS) is turning it at the ends of rows. The model I have weighs about 300 lbs. I'm 5" 2", female, currently in my late 50's, strong according to my city friends but not according to farm women.

Warning note: my comparative information (along with my Troybilt Horse) is close to twenty years old. I don't think Troybilt is still owned by the same people. I don't know whether BCS is, for that matter.