market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Help....Fungus gnats?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: sora AT coldreams.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Help....Fungus gnats?
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 14:25:18 -0700

> Here's an organic solution. Gnatrol is OMRI approved and uses nematodes to
> control fungus gnat larvae, which are the ones doing the real damage. I'm
> not sure how effective it is on Shore Flies, which are often confused with
> Fungus Gnats, but it may work on them too.
>

> http://www.groworganic.com/nemaglobe-fungus-gnat-control.html
> Many thanks Bill and Kathryn.....
So I've been reading up on these nasties....never had them before!
Most sites recommend BT which I was using....but now I've discovered there
are several subspecies of Bacillus Thuringiensis. Kurstaki is the strain
most of us are familiar with for control of cabbage worms etc.
Isrealensis controls mosquitoes and fungus gnats. It's my understanding
that this is what "Gnatrol" is. The adults are like fruit flies and do
not damage the plants but the larvae feed on the roots, starve the plant
for nutrients and leave the plants shriveled and stunted. Sticky traps
caught enough adults for identification. Just searched all over town and
was unable to find "Gnatrol" but was able to find a product called
biological mosquito control designed for birdbaths. Active ingredient BT
Isrealensis. Will be trying it right away....will let you know how it
goes.
Hoping the plants can recover.
As always....what may be a stupid question for some might just result in a
smart answer that saves some poor farmer a lot of grief!!
Sora in Paradise Valley N.Id

  • Re: [Market-farming] Help....Fungus gnats?, sora, 05/03/2011