market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] need help for water delivery

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: idyllwild farm <idyllwildfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] need help for water delivery
  • Date: Mon, 2 May 2011 07:55:30 -0400

Joan:
Here's a description of what I did using a marine battery, a 12 volt water pump, etc. to pressurize and deliver water
to drip lines via a tank. It worked well and depending on the number of drip lines (you have to calc that part), I could
drain the tank in 30 to 60 minutes and refill it for more. I would gravity feed overnight.

This year, I plan a couple of changes. I'll be getting a gas powered transfer pump so that
I can fill the tank and transfer water from the wagon tank to a couple of stationary tanks I'll have at my high tunnels faster.
And I'll add a pressure tank sized to the 12 volt pump so that it doesn't run the whole time- not that I had trouble without
one, but I think that I'll get more life from the pump and better results with one. Other options include a 12 volt timer
so that you don't have to be there to shut the pump off and/or water sensitive switches that can shut the pump off when
the tank is drained or the tank if full.

http://idyllwildfarm.wordpress.com/2010/08/10/water-wagon/

Good luck.
Mike