market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Extreme weather & RWH

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Thamnophis <thamnophis AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Extreme weather & RWH
  • Date: Sun, 1 May 2011 23:31:36 -0500

I am interested in RWH too. I have a couple of options - looking for
suggestions and/or feedback...

We have a cistern that I am guessing is 1500 gallons. I can see where
the old eves and down spouts used to drain the rain into a filtered
culvert that drained into the cistern. In the basement there is an old
pump connected to the house plumbing. Apparently they could switch
between well water and cistern water - maybe when the girls wanted to
wash their hair :-)

The other is our old horse barn. It is big, with a new steel roof. The
barn has what I am told is a "milk cooler" - essentially a 1500 gallon
cement "pool" they used to fill with cold well water before placing
the cans of fresh milk in. With a little work, I could redirect the
downspouts to this tank.

I thought about using both for irrigation. Both are within 50-100 feet
of a garden plot / high tunnel. Does this seem feasible? Are their
pitfalls to watch for?

Joe
Boone County, IA
5a