market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] recommended printers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Etienne Goyer <etienne.goyer AT outlands.ca>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] recommended printers
  • Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2011 15:16:52 -0400

On 11-04-14 02:20 PM, sora AT coldreams.com wrote:
>> Karen....I went through way too many printers over the years they all
> bled when wet. Finally gave up on trying for the perfect nonbleeding
> color and now just buy clear packing tape and cover all labels. If
> totally covered these work even in the freezer. And the cost of packing
> tape in bulk through Staples was Way cheaper than investing in a laser
> printer.
> I used to burn up a printer a year (Always it seemed when I had Just
> purchased new ink!) Now on my computer guru's advise I have a Canon
> MP510. I've had it for 3 years now. The inks are pricey but last a Long
> Time. When I researched it out the color pages worked out very cheap.
> It's also a multipurpose so is a copier, scanner and printer. I've had no
> problems. Got it on sale through Staples for under $100.

Generally speaking, you're getting what you pay for when buying a
printer. Cheap printers are usually unreliable, and the cost of ink is
often proportionally higher (as this is where the manufacturer are
making up their margin).

Personally, I cannot understand why people still insist on using inkjet.
Ink cartridges are expensive, the mechanism are unreliable and the
quality is barely so-so (unless you buy the very high-end one). They
smears. They run out of ink all the time. They're painstakingly slow.
If the ink cartridge racket would not be so profitable for the
manufacturers, this technology would have been dead a decade ago.

When you factor in the cost per page, a midrange SOHO laser printer is
probably the most cost-effective printer to buy. A decent HP color
laser printer is barely 300$ new, and will last you a decade. No point
in trying to shave pennies there, especially if it is a tool for your
business. If you are very cost conscious, you can always buy them used
(that's what I do).

I am partial to HP as a printer manufacturer. They have generally
reliable printer, except at the very low-end.

Just my 0,02$.

Etienne