market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Multiplier onions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Ben Wiener <dbwiener AT lycos.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Multiplier onions
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 14:21:43 +0000 (GMT)

Christine,

We eat them as only as spring scallions.  I seperate the bulblets as I plant.  I would recommend planting in the fall with the same timing and fertility recommended for Garlic.  Here in Zone 3 that is  early to mid October.  If I forget or don't get around to it, I just gather the bulblets off the ground in the spring and plant as soon as the ground can be worked.  I have an established bed so I have far more topsets than I can ever use.  I have heard that you can use large bulbils as pearl onions in the fall, but have never done it.  I don't like pearl onions.

Ben Wiener
Ben's Berry Farm
Hinckley, MN

What time of year do you separate the bulblets?  I have not been separating my bulblets, but I will try to separate some now.

Do you eat them as scallions?

I agree that the flavor of the walking onion is stronger and not my favorite, but the green tops are ready so early in the season.

Christine in Shenandoah Valley, VA

I have always grown walking onions for personal use, but never for sale as green onions. You can fall plant the bulblets on a 1x1 inch grid in a rich soil and they will come up nice tall and thin. A wide raised bed wotks great.

I don't know which variety I have.  I got them from my aunt who got them from my grandfather who got them from his father.  They have been in the family for close to 100 years.

If anyone has a source for potato onions, I'd love to get some.  The mature bulbs of the walking onions are too potent for my taste.

Ben Wiener
Ben's Berry Farm
Hinckley MN