market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] compact flourescents for plant starting

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Etienne Goyer <etienne.goyer AT outlands.ca>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] compact flourescents for plant starting
  • Date: Wed, 02 Mar 2011 13:55:07 -0500

On 11-03-02 01:08 PM, MAsteveINE wrote:
> If I missed it I am sorry but I am still not aware as to what you are
> planning to do.
>
> It would seem that one super nice light would make it difficult to grow
> an assortment
> of plants needing different climates.

Indeed. I am just trying to make the most out of limited
infrastructure. Fortunately, I am growing only cool climate seedlings
this years (onions, cabbages, lettuces, etc), so their needs in term of
climate is rather uniform. Next year, I will have a separate
infrastructure for warm weather seedling (tomatoes, eggplants, squash, etc).

That being said, I believe the requirements in term of lightning are
relatively uniform across crops, in which case it would make sense to
standardize on one type of lightning system. In this regard, MH seems
ideal.

Again, I am new at all this, so I might be wrong. Experience shall
teach me!