market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] mulching pathways

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: deberryemail-website AT yahoo.com
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] mulching pathways
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2011 12:21:05 -0800 (PST)

I did not like the way that mowers throw material onto the plant either.  I tried rear discharge and mulching mowers also rear baggers.  The mulching mowers were two slow because material would build up under the deck then stall the mower.  The baggers had to be emptied to often. The discharge still threw material on the plants some.  They were all hard to push over the rough ground between my raised plastic mulched beds.

What I decided I needed was a self propeled Flail.  I was at PASA and spoke to Joel from earthtools about what I wanted and he was able to fix me up.  I got a Grillo two wheel tractor and a 18 inch Palidino flail mower.
it has worked great.  I mowed between my peppers, tomatoes and Strawberries this year about a 1/4 arce each and had no problems
I wanted 18" because the space between beds in my system is small.  The mower will mow down anything including small brush and it deposits it as mulch.  The ocasional rock does fly out the front.

I can also prune my raspberries and shred the canes in the middle rather than hauling them away.  And with the primocanes I can run the mower up on the bed to cut them down.

The mower was pricey but I don't think I will wear it out.

Charles