market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] vegetable washing/processing floor plans

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "stonecirclefarm tds.net" <stonecirclefarm AT tds.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] vegetable washing/processing floor plans
  • Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2011 09:56:44 -0600

Good insights from Curtis and Sarah regarding workflow, hands-free set-ups, etc.  I would add that one needs to think and plan carefully to remove waste water with allowances to screen out refuse and dirt so that waste water pipes do not clog.  Not to open a can of worms, but to create a washing and packing area that will reduce food safety risks (and we may be looking at increasing food safety scrutiny and regulations over time), I would do as much as you can to use surfaces that are readily cleaned and sanitized (stainless) as well as floor and wall surfaces that can also be easily cleaned (dairy board / FRP).

Another thing that I have seen at various farms is having wash tanks, tables, and washing equipment (brush washers, barrel washers, etc.) on casters (wheels) or set on pallets so that things can be moved around so that different set-ups are possible depending on what is being washed and packed.  This facilitates a small space being able to be used for various purposes (washing, packing CSA boxes, etc.).

I am not familiar with grain-grinding needs and regulations but if the grains are being ground for human consumption, that likely needs to take place in a certified kitchen.  Further, it might be best to separate the two functions given that washing areas involve lots of water and grain grinding is likely best accomplished in a room that is dry.

-John