market-farming - [Market-farming] green tomatoes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Vern and Amy <vaspencer AT sisna.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] green tomatoes
  • Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2011 11:34:48 -0800

Rivka,
Thanks--that was the info I needed!

Vern

Last year I sold green tomatoes at market for 2.75/quart and ripe non- heirlooms for 4.00 / quart. (This is not a high priced area.) Most of my heirlooms weren't sold by the quart as most of them don't pack well into quarts, so it's more difficult to compare prices. I didn't usually use the heirlooms for green tomatoes as most of my green tomato customers wanted evenly shaped tomatoes of the Big Beef type. The greens were faster to handle, and weren't in the field as long so had less risk of becoming seconds, and stored better; so I thought it was fair to price them cheaper than full ripe tomatoes.

I found I could keep them for a couple of weeks in the cooler, most of the time -- less as the season went on, because, although I did try to pay close attention to their stage at harvest, more of them would show color relatively rapidly in storage later in the season. It's OK to put them in the cooler, unlike ripe ones, as the green tomato flavor, unlike ripe flavor, isn't damaged by cold temperatures as long as they're above freezing. Once they started showing color, unfortunately, they weren't really salable either way; green tomato customers don't want pink, and they'd been picked so green they wouldn't develop decent flavor even if they turned full red while still looking passable.

I tried to pick them, as you say, just before they were breakers -- they do need to be fairly close to mature, or they won't either look right or hold well. Big Beef at least will turn a sort of darker green -- with a bit of practice you get so you can recognize the right stage.