market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Growing transplants under HID

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "MAsteveINE" <MAsteveINE AT 207me.com>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Growing transplants under HID
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2011 11:22:33 -0500

At this place we went to the most flourescents we could fit in, and then
moved to the greenhouse with a sheet of poly secured across the building
to make a much smaller but expandable area to heat. Our tomatoes seeded
at New Years, into the greenhouse in late Feb, into the greenhouse beds
 in March for a few fruits at June 1 and good production at strawberry (outdoor)
season.

The amount of space available for growing under those big lights is
related to the height that they can be placed from the floor. Depending
on the unit there may be considerable heat to deal with. Were I you,
in that place, I would call Harnois and talk with their people.

Dont know about Canada, but in the states the prime source for used
grow lighting  is sheriffs sales where they are sellinjg off the assets of the
pot growers.

MAsteveINE

00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Good morning,

this year we have to start quite a bit of early transplants. I have a
brand new (to me) greenhouse but don't want to start it before mid
april (30x100 is costly to run). Last frost is usually around mid may.
When the greenhouse is started I want to have healthy tomato and
pepper transplants in 4" pots. Right now I have a fluorescent setup
(three shelves of 4 tubes/4 trays) but I definitely won't have enough
space under these when I pot the greenhouse tomatoes up to 4" pots.
How large of an area could I cover with a combination of a 1000w HPS
and 1000W MH for transplants growing? Would I get better results with
those lights or should I just add more fluorescents? I feel HIDs might
be better because it would be a lot less work to manage the height of
the lights and they are not too expensive when bought second hand
locally.

Regards,

Lova Andriamanjay