market-farming - [Market-farming] selling compost at market

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: KAKerby AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] selling compost at market
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 23:10:13 -0500 (EST)

Anyone here sell farm-made compost at market?  We've been approached occasionally by folks asking if we ever sell manure or compost, and up until now we've generally said no.  Whatever is generated here, stays here.  But now that we're taking our composting process more seriously, and knowing that planting season is just around the corner for a lot of folks, it occurred to us perhaps that was something we could sell on a small-scale basis.

Of course the mind muddies with thoughts of how to bag it, how to price it, how to let folks sample it without offending all the various health issues (real or imagined).  I'm also curious whether there are commonly regulatory burdens or testing/labeling criteria we'd have to meet.  I'll be chasing down local and state issues in the next few weeks.  But I'd dearly love to talk to anyone who's been there, done that, even if it didn't pan out.  Thanks in advance...........
Kathryn Kerby, Poo Queen-In-Training
frogchorusfarm.com
Snohomish, WA