market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] garlic scape pricing

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87 AT frontiernet.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] garlic scape pricing
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 17:05:17 -0500

On Jan 17, 2011, at 3:54 PM, stonecirclefarm tds.net wrote:

Thanks Rivka. I have sold them for as much as $5/lb (although sales were mostly by the count, and, like yours, in a vented plastic bag). I find them pretty easy to harvest and pack and feel they may actually be an important, contributing factor in making garlic a profitable crop on my farm. The reason I am asking about pricing is that I have a potential large volume buyer (they plan to pickle them) and I am guessing they may ask me to drop my price.

The $3 was a wholesale price. At market I sold them bunched, about 9 to a twistie, for 1.50 / bunch; not in a bag. The bunches weighed about 1/4 lb (though they weren't sold by weight, and weight varied a little); so that comes out to about $6 / lb retail. The wholesale price was based partly on the fact that they were taking a lot of them (and I had more than I could sell by the bunch at the higher price) and partly on the fact that I didn't have to bother bunching them.

I've sold more at retail every year, though the price has gone up every year; the first year nobody had heard of such a thing, and they had to be cheap to move at all.