market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Composting

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: E C GRANATA <elainegranata AT msn.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Composting
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 15:32:47 -0700

What I learned in my master composting class is that a 25:1 ratio by volume of brown to green is optimal --  coffee grounds are considered a "green".  (Think about greens as protein and browns as carbs).  If you don't get enough heating up, you probably need more greens or water.

I create green and brown layers, then mix them as I water, then build the next layer of greens and browns to be mixed and watered.  The smaller you can get stuff -- chopped and shredded-- the quicker it'll go.

Elaine
Denver z5