market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Composting

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leslie Moyer <unschooler AT lrec.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Composting
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 14:57:08 -0600

Mixing is best, though we usually layer at first and then mix when we're
putting on the next layer. You can certainly get composting during the winter
months. It happens faster at higher temps and more slowly at lower temps, but
our pile is trucking right along right now and we have below freezing temps
here (Oklahoma) right now. The temp inside the pile is very warm.

"Ideal" brown-green ration depends a bit on what you're going to use the
compost on. Trees and perennials will like a more brown-rich compost and
annuals and vegetables will prefer a more green-rich ratio. "Ideal", IMO,
means "whatever you have locally available to compost". Right now, for us,
it is coffee grounds from about 7 local coffee shops and about 15 dump truck
loads of (bagged) leaves we collected from curbsides this fall. In the past,
it has been chicken litter from our chickens and old hay. Compost
happens....ideal ratio or not.

--Leslie