market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Commercial wood boxes

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: michelle rome <michelleann7 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Commercial wood boxes
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 15:21:30 -0800 (PST)

Marcy wrote:

My 14 year-old son just replicated some from my SIL’s example that she got for her store.

We just calculated our total cost at $4.25 for 14”x11”x7.25”.

We’ll be adjusting the main size to what will work best for CSA distribution and make a few off-size for other things – larger for potatoes, onions, squash and some smaller ones as well.

Texas Basket’s closest size looks to be $8.75 plus shipping

Roof Basket Works was $13.88 for comparable size plus whatever shipping would be.

See pic at http://www.greenhornacres.com/page8.php?ImageGalleryPage=3    not a great pic of the crates. I’ll get a closeup.

The top crate is the example (with the rope handles already attached).  Under it are the ones we made that don’t have rope yet.

We’re thinking of having 3 sizes that will nest on the return trip or maybe doing slanted sides so they’ll stack when empty.

We’re also going to change the bottom cleat so they can stack more securely when full.

And I guess I’ll post a note on the website thread separately  since I just rebuilt it last week!

Marcy

SE Colo

MARCY

I attended the SE Fruit and Vegetable conference this past Saturday.

I was impressed with Monte Packaging - www.montepkg.com

who have wooden weave baskets and stackable wood crates as well as plastic containers. The plastic are alitte pricey like your mentioned sources. I liked their display and knowledge - they are located in FLA and MI.

I was also impressed with these folks who had a stackable durable plastic for about 7.50 delivered -

http://www.macroplastics.com/products/macrobin/macrotote-9-fv/

Let us know what you decide to do. I am also in the market for stackable baskets and containers that I can clean and sanitize.

Michelle Hromyak

Romy Farms

E/W SC