market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Food Safety bill becomes law

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: HERBKDR AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Food Safety bill becomes law
  • Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 15:58:28 -0500 (EST)

I am under the impression that if you sell anything processed, you will still have to register, pay the fees, go through the inspections, etc.  What the definition of "processed" is does not appear to be very clear.  It could mean anything from drying your own herbs to washing your lettuce.

I would love for this amendment to include small producers...but we have been told that since we "process" that we are not exempt.  This will put this mom and pop farm out of business. :(

Just curious if anyone knows what this will do to value added products that many states allow to be "processed" in home kitchens.  Jams, jellies, breads, etc would have to come under processed foods and that would mean that anyone who makes them would have to go through all of the regs just like the big guys.

It's been a good 15 years,
Karin Rasmussen
Herb'n Renewal