market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Another question about bags

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Another question about bags
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 11:15:20 -0500

You are sort of preaching to the choir here, but I try to keep existentialism
out of the discussion when its the government controlling how I do business.

Maybe I am misunderstanding the question. As a farmer, considering where
food safety is headed, I would not use ANYTHING other than plastic or glass.
Glass being the most sustainable of all. If there is a cloth bag and its in
a CSA let the member bring their bag and pack the greens on top of the tote
with the higher weight and density items underneath. If its an argument of
PURE sustainability then I would have a bulk container of greens and pack it
into their bags as the pick up.

The farmer/grower should avoid packing and using cloth though. Not only is
it an issue when it comes to pathogens but its simply something else they
need to keep track of and maintain (you MUST assume the lowest common
denominator and assume the customer/member will put you are risk).

You can tell we are snowed in. :) Time to discuss.

Richard Stewart
rstewart AT zoomtown.com