market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Taking Credit Cards at Farmers Markets

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: HERBKDR AT aol.com
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Taking Credit Cards at Farmers Markets
  • Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 11:18:28 -0500 (EST)

We have been taking credit/debit cards for the last 8 years and it really does help our sales.  We use a knuckle buster at the market and then I come home and enter them into our ProPay account on the computer.  www.propay.com  We pay a $35 a year membership fee, 2.9% per transaction and only 35 cents when we transfer the monies to our bank account.  I am happy to report that we've only had one sale that would not go through and I always get a phone number so I can call the customer back if I need to.  It works for us!

Our market started taking credit card/debit/EBT and what ever else...customers get wooden coins to spend at the market.  It has gone over very well.

The days of cash are about gone no matter where you shop.  It seems like everyone carries a small amount but they sure do have a debit card handy when they need it!  We've had many sales that would have been a few dollars but grew into $20+ because we accept cards.

Karin Rasmussen
Herb'n Renewal
Lancaster, KY