market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Row Covers

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Sue Wells" <farmersue AT myfairpoint.net>
  • To: "'Market Farming'" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Row Covers
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 13:08:10 -0500

I am up in Vermont. The wind storms have also been terrible here. Almost 2
weeks ago, there were places that had up to 90 mph winds in Vermont. Trees
were uprooted, blown down, broken, We were out of power from Early Wed AM
until Sunday AM. We have a generator, but it wouldn't pump our water. Good
thing we had the creek for water for the animals. We sure learned a lot
during that time about no power and how to cook on the woodstove and other
things. We live in a very small town, and the only gas station there is,
raised up their gas to $3.19/gal at that time. I thought that was nasty. So,
we tried to limit using the generator. Luckily the really cold weather
didn't hit us until the day we got the power back on. So, the animals had
their heat lamps on.
I cover up my things but then give up. Many things are ok uncovered, well,
I guess if it snows to protect the things. Last week we had over 2.5 feet of
snow. Yesterday, it melted some, and early this morning it was 40 degrees
for a very short time, but long enough for us to get the remaining savoy
cabbages harvested and some of the Asian greens, Tatsoi and pac choi
harvested. IT was just too cold for me to harvest much of the greens. I
can't do it wearing gloves.
We are getting ready to be hit with another bad storm.
Sue
Vermont

Pamela Crowe wrote:
> I am beginning to appreciate what Northern farmers face on a regular
basis.