market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Taking Credit Cards at Farmers Markets: iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: idyllwild farm <idyllwildfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Taking Credit Cards at Farmers Markets: iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad
  • Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 12:52:33 -0500

David Pogue reviewed them in the NY Times last Sept. He goes into some
of the fees structures and how they intend to get you your money (not
all is instantly available).
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/30/technology/personaltech/30pogue.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1

People I know at banks are happy about it because unless you had a
brick & mortar sales location they didn't really want you as a credit
card merchant anyway.

Just like buying a smartphone, I'm wondering how competitive the
smartphone credit card POS business is going to get in the next 6
months. I recall seeing that other companies were considering similar
technology, but I can't recall where I saw it. More competition might
alter the fee structures a bit (or somehow end up raising them??). I
also wonder how credit card fraud is handled.

On 12/13/10, Barking Cat Farm <barkingcatfarm AT mindspring.com> wrote:

> On Dec 12, 2010, at 8:22 AM, cjmaness AT juno.com wrote:
>>
>> A friend and fellow vendor at market uses one with her iphone. She
>> calculated her costs at about a $1.00/transaction. It doesn't work very
>> well.
>

> I'm having trouble figuring out how she gets $1 per transaction. To own an
> iphone, you have to have a data plan. There are now data plans that cost
> less than the initial choice of $30/mo. But even if she was still on the
> $30/mo plan, I guess she's only doing 30 transactions/month and only uses
> the iphone for this purpose? You can see why I am having trouble with the
> $1/transaction.
>
> The fact that you don't have to pay a monthly fee to accept credit cards is
> very attractive. We've had a few folks who would have bought more from us,
> but had run out of cash. But they had credit cards, so this is something
> we're going to use these next year at our CSA drop. We have heard from at
> least one flower vendor that attends Farmers Markets that they switched to
> using this device and were pleased. Reviews indicated that the initial
> devices sent out did have problems scanning but that newer versions work
> better.
>
> Kim
> Barking Cat Farm
> Texas where winter finally arrived

  • Re: [Market-farming] Taking Credit Cards at Farmers Markets: iPod Touch/iPhone/iPad, idyllwild farm, 12/13/2010