market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Sequester Carbon in Your Garden

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Sequester Carbon in Your Garden
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 15:24:59 -0500

Marty

My take on it...for what its worth and this is not a negative commentary just critical discussion on what you are doing...which is in the right direction I think.

Unfortunately this is not a good example of Biochar.  You need a retort to capture and burn waste gasses as you convert your biomass to char.  Char is a two part puzzle.  The first is converting char without much of a carbon footprint.  Right now what you have is a wood burning stove which you are using ash and partly converted charcoal which, in theory, is different than biochar.  You are still venting a lot of CO2 in the process.   I think you have the second half of the puzzle down pretty good though.  Char needs amendments.  I am simply crushing it and then mixing it in with fresh horse manure high in urea and composting it all together over a 280 day cycle.

Keep on keeping on!  I would suggest you look into building a 55gallon retort to accomplish the first half of the puzzle.  That way you really are are sequestering carbon without the byproduct of burning.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855