market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] harvesting frozen kale?

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Owsley lucy <boulderbelt AT embarqmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] harvesting frozen kale?
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2010 10:07:53 -0500

Yes you can harvest it frozen and thaw it out (which can be done at room temp) and it will be fine. I am always amazed by this phenom.

On Dec 7, 2010, at 9:51 AM, Beth Spaugh wrote:

The forecast is not above freezing this week. I have orders for kale.  Anyone know if I can harvest very frozen kale and slowly thaw it, or will it turn to mush?  I have one customer who says she has dug it out of the snow off and brought it in, slowly thawed it.  But the snow would have insulated it, and we don't have snow.  It is supposed to get up close to 30 this afternoon.  24 now.  Thank you.

Of course I have a workshop tour of farmers coming this afternoon to see the hoophouse crops so time is limited.