market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Micro Prices Restaurants

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Micro Prices Restaurants
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 09:35:33 -0500

Yes, root still attached.  They ONLY time we clip micros is if the customer asks for it or root development matured past a single small tap root, which is uncommon in the first three weeks.  The lettuces and micro chard are the first to start developing a more complex root system.  Root crop micros, like radishes, beets, and turnips can almost always be pulled whole.  Once radishes develop past 21 days the flavor begins to concentrate into the root and while the greens are edible they quickly turn tougher in another 10 days.  Perfect fine for brazing I think and suitable for a mix with turnip greens.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855