market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Hoophouse Experiment Zone 8

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pamela Crowe <sustainableharvestsc AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Hoophouse Experiment Zone 8
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 21:24:50 -0400

I am Zone 8 in SC near the coast. I grow year round and only last year did I wish for a hoophouse with the once in a 100 year snow and cold. There are several farmers here who do the same. History has been one used a hoophouse, the others just used row covers once in a while. All of us are on the grant program and have either gotten or about to get hoophouses. Personally, I will continue to grow lettuces, carrots, beets, turnips, etc. outside and use the hoophouse for other items like cukes that need a slightly warmer environment. The farmer with the hoophouse had some severe heat issues---inside rising to easily 120---in the middle of the winter with heavy sunshine and little breeze. His spinach wilted, etc. He has double plastic on the house. He is now going to start growing some of this outside from now on. However, he was able to get strawberries and tomatoes out a lot faster than the others without come spring. Not sure if this rambling helped, but wishing you prosperity.

Pam
SC