market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Hoophouse Experiment Zone 8

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Leigh Hauter <bullrunfarm AT hughes.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Hoophouse Experiment Zone 8
  • Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 10:06:03 -0400

Title: Re: [Market-farming] Hoophouse Experiment Zone 8
Hello Wendy,

50 miles west of Dothan?  Do you even have winter down there?  When I came back form Vietnam, in November of 1968 I was sent to sit out the rest of my time with an ambulance company at Fort Rucker which is what? 25 miles north.  I only remember one frost in the two and a half winters I spent down there.  (sort of kidding, that one frost lasted moist of a month and froze the cooling system of my dodge dart which had only water in its leaky radiator).  I also remember the huge piles of watermelons on the side of the road in what was the early spring selling at 8 for a dollar.  How much do regular icebox watermelons go for now?

My experience with hoophouses is almost 900 miles north in northern Virginia.  Does your house have roll up sides?  We get really hot here. This spriing one of our houses got up to 130 degrees by 11 am when one morning we were late rolling up the sides.  But then, on the other end, we lost four 96 X 17  houses when the  hoops all bent and came tumbling down under last winter's 37 inches of snow.  My message is to expect the unexpected.

Leigh
The Plains, Virginia
(ten miles west of the Manassas (Bull Run) civil war battlefields)

Hello All,

We are just starting out with a 72 x 26 hoophouse. We have lettuce, cukes and tomatoes growing at the moment. Does anyone have experience with a hoophouse this far south? We are zone 8, about 50 miles west of Dothan, Alabama. Crops grown, temperature management (especially with multiple crops in the house). We have made it through our second summer of market farming and are working to expand our growing season. Would also love to hear from anyone else growing in this geographical region.

So much to learn and only so many hours in a day.

Thanks for your input,

Wendy
Wendy's Produce, Kinston, AL
info AT wendysproduce.com
Working to make the old family homestead thrive again.