market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] seeding onions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Etienne Goyer <etienne.goyer AT outlands.ca>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] seeding onions
  • Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2010 20:59:33 -0400

stonecirclefarm tds.net wrote:
> There are seeders like the one described here for the paper chainpot
> transplanting system (which is excellent for onions). Video showing the
> seeder can be seen at:
>
> http://www.smallfarmworks.com/Products.html
>
> Scroll down to the bottom of the page for the video. I use this system
> (that's me in the video by the way) and do not use pelleted seed. Pelleted
> seed would be preferable but my sources for onion seed do not offer it that
> way and I am not at a large enough scale to warrant sending my seed
> somewhere where it could be pelleted. I also use this seeder for spinach,
> beets, kohlrabi, etc.

The paper pot transplanter is a super interesting concept. I understand
it is only really good for small seedling that are being transplanted
with close in-row spacing (less than 6"), but seeing the video where
they transplant scallion, it looks like a real time-saver for those.

In general, do you consider it is worth the investment? Any specific
drawback about this system, beside those discussed in the FAQ? Are the
folding paper pot (which, I understand, are being imported from Japan)
expensive?

Many thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Etienne