market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] soil temps

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pamela Crowe <sustainableharvestsc AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] soil temps
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 17:47:01 -0400

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 2:11 PM, Richard Robinson <rrobinson AT nasw.org> wrote:

Do you mean you leave the same probe in the same spot during the entire growing season, and then assume temps elsewhere are about the same, sort of like you do with a rain gauge? Interesting.

My assumption is that if you disturb the soil, the upper level temp will change from being exposed( i.e. soil moisture loss, heat/cold exposure, etc.). I assume it will readjust to near what the probe says in a couple of days or so.

Otherwise Yes. I don't think spending time going around to different spots in the field will net any major difference that is worth the effort.

Pam