market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] soil temps

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pamela Crowe <sustainableharvestsc AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] soil temps
  • Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 23:12:27 -0400

On Sat, Sep 11, 2010 at 9:30 PM, Shawnee Flowerfarmer <farmingflowers AT hotmail.com> wrote:

what action do you take/not take based on your data?  What's the range of soil temperatures in your area and so on.

I plant exclusively based on soil temps. At 4" the range(undisturbed) since the first of the year has gone from 42F to 86F. At 2" the range is 38F to 92F. The air temp ranges from 20F to 115F. I mulch mostly with compost(dark) to make it easier to replant after harvesting crop. I sometimes mulch with white lint from cotton gin and wood chips. I use irrigation to change soil temp as well.

I plant year round. I use the 10" temps as the base determiner of temp direction.

I haven't measured the differences between mulch types. I don't move the probes around.

Pam
SC