market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tilling

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pamela Crowe <sustainableharvestsc AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tilling
  • Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2010 14:12:10 -0400

On Thu, Sep 9, 2010 at 12:13 AM, Sundari Elizabeth Kraft <sundari93 AT yahoo.com> wrote:

I am curious to learn from all of you whether or not you till your land, and why (or why not). If you could, please also let me know how much land you are farming so I can have some context for your answer.

Sundari---

I am still tilling most of the time because I started with pure sand and pockets of hard clay. I need to keep adding/mixing in a significant amount of organic material to build the soil to something that can do well with less or no tilling.

The size of my planted area is about 1.1 acres. The land was originally pine forest for paper production. Just getting the ph to a reasonable level from the acidic quality was tantamount to success.

I think you need to do what is right for you in the situation you have and not just follow the crowd that may be working with a totally different set of circumstances from you.

Pam
SC