market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] melons

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pamela Crowe <sustainableharvestsc AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] melons
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 00:28:01 -0400

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 11:33 PM, stonecirclefarm tds.net <stonecirclefarm AT tds.net> wrote:
The recent post about Sun Jewel melons prompts me to inquire if anyone has any positive (or negative) experience to report with any specialty melon (or standard muskmelon/cantaloupe) varieties...especially from a northern perspective (in terms of length of season).  I am in southern Wisconsin and am looking to grow more melons next year and would like to try some new, unique varieties that might find favor with chefs.
-John

Charentais melons are smaller and chefs in this area love them. Also they like the Sugar Nut spanish melon along with the Honey Orange Honeydews. Don't know how these would grow in your area, however.

Pam
SC