market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Yard long bean / asparagus bean / asian long bean

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Willie McKemie <mf AT austinfarm.org>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Yard long bean / asparagus bean / asian long bean
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 21:55:21 -0500

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 01:44:49PM -0400, Burke Farm wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I'm attempting to grow "Gita" long beans this year, from Johnny's.
> Miles of vines, not very many flowers or beans.

You may be too far north for them. Here in central Texas, I've grown
Gita with very good results. Fact is, Gita is the most productive long
bean I've grown. Pricy, though. Long beans are just like southern
peas, they love/require heat. They thrive in 100 deg day time and 80
deg night time temperatures. We don't expect much of them before July
but they will go through at least September. Look for them to produce
at the same time as okra.

--
Willie, ONWARD! Through the fog!
Debian3.1/GNU/Linux system uptime 160 days 15 hours 49 minutes