market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Yard long bean / asparagus bean / asian long bean

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Roots Farm & Karen Sutherland <rootsfarm AT cwdom.dm>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Yard long bean / asparagus bean / asian long bean
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 19:19:19 -0400

Long beans are really long season.   Maybe you just have to wait longer.    I never tried Gita variety, but we grow numerous other varieties here in tropics where we have never noted need for a dry weather spell to flower -- in fact, the wetter the better.  Dry weather makes them almost immediately halt production.  They generally take about 4 months to start flowering; the beans come fast after flowers form and size up quickly.  They are very hard to see among the foliage until they are past prime and the first ones seem to set very low to the ground.  They don't seem to mind weed pressure much once established either.  We have trouble with birds pecking the beans, otherwise they are relatively pest-free.  Only other problem with them is that they discolor quickly after picking. -- they still taste good but the aesthetic is definitely off a bit.

I love the taste of them too and love how they hold a crunchy texture even if over cooked.  My customers also love.  We sell them $6/lb.

All best wishes,

Karen

Roots Farm
Organic Produce