market-farming - [Market-farming] Yard long bean / asparagus bean / asian long bean

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Burke Farm <burkefarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Yard long bean / asparagus bean / asian long bean
  • Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 13:44:49 -0400

Hi folks,

I'm attempting to grow "Gita" long beans this year, from Johnny's.
Miles of vines, not very many flowers or beans.

I love the taste of these and want to grow more for markets & our CSA,
but this year's experience has been a little discouraging. We've had
plenty of rain and heat. Weed and insect pressure have been generally
high, but I have them in black plastic, they're on a trellis, and no
bugs are eating them. Do these need drier weather to flower heavily?
I don't generally have trouble with growing snap beans.

Any advice, for this season or next, welcome.

Lisa Burke
zone 5, central IN