market-farming - [Market-farming] Oats and Peas as a winterkilled cover crop

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Flying Plow Farm CSA <flyingplowfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Oats and Peas as a winterkilled cover crop
  • Date: Thu, 12 Aug 2010 14:19:44 -0400

Hello,

I'm looking for hands-on information about using oats and peas (or any other winterkilled cover crop mix).

My ideal winter killed cover crop would produce the most biomass possible while being able to be sown as late as possible, meaning October.

This is for a zone 7 farm with an October 15 frost date.

So, what varieties do you use?

When's the latest you've planted? And what's your frost date?

Does it effectively winter kill?

Thanks a lot!

Tom
Flying Plow Farm