market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Planting between rows of strawberries

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Andy Fellenz <fellenz AT fltg.net>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Planting between rows of strawberries
  • Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 23:18:41 -0400

I have done it several times in first year beds. Last year I had leeks and onions planted in my strawberry row middles - everything was planted within a week of each other. The biggest problem I had was cultivation as the space between the double row of alliums and the strawberries was narrower than I would have likeed for walking down the row with a hoe.
I have also planted short season crops in the row middles like you are thinking of doing and it can work OK.

Andy

grizzdover AT gmail.com wrote:
Hello All,

Has anyone done this? This obviously is not ideal, but it is about my
only option for planting fall crops (including lettuce transplants).
We have been so saturated that the beds I prepared to plant in are
still soaked and it is too wet to prepare any new beds. I have been
able to cultivate the strawberry paths consistently and have actually
begun pondering planting in them for our CSA! So my question to
everyone is "What can it hurt"? I'm planning on fertilizing the paths
so as not to deplete the berries.

Thanks in advance,

Ben Saunders
Turtle Farm