market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Pumping water from a stream or pond

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: idyllwild farm <idyllwildfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Pumping water from a stream or pond
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 21:43:34 -0400

If you can power it electrically, I'd start there- solar or grid. Just picture wiring it up to turn on automatically or by a switch by zone, etc. Sweet. Second choice is a pump that has it's own power unit to save wear and tear on your tractor. Third choice is a pto powered pump- ties up the tractor and runs up the hours. I guess last is hand powered or pedal powered.
Keep an eye on PSI, gpm or gph, pressure lost via distance and pipe size before you get to the drip or sprinklers in order to size the pump appropriately. Don't go under-powered just to use solar, for instance, or you'll be frustrated when it's really, really, really dry and you want to get some water down.
Good Luck,
Mike