market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Carrot Germination-Thanks and question

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pamela Crowe <sustainableharvestsc AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Carrot Germination-Thanks and question
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jul 2010 09:31:32 -0400

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 7:54 AM, MAsteveINE <MAsteveINE AT 207me.com> wrote:
Big pains here are galensoga, lambs quarter, and pig weed. I find I can slow those down some by an application of corn gluten meal at the first hand weeding. Corn gluten
inhibits germination so it has to wait till the intended crop is established, then slows down the appearence of weeds and is a 10% N source.

This might help some.

What I have been trying is dry molasses that is combined with corn gluten. It is feedstock material and I got it at the feed and seed. I was attempting to find some kind of control for fire ants----------I use it on my walkways and in between rows. It kills some of the ants and runs the rest elsewhere and I have pretty good weed control in those areas. I have not used on beds though. It comes in 50 lb bags.

Pam