market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Potato Planting Suggestions

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Richard Stewart <rstewart AT zoomtown.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Potato Planting Suggestions
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 21:27:51 -0400

Zero beetles so far.  I am also on virgin ground that had corn on it the year before.  No treatments, other than mechanical cultivation.  This ground is going into organic use and will be rotated with another 1 to 3 acres on the other end of our farm to avoid CPB pressure....hopefully.  Distance is one mile between plots.  Follow on crop next year is going to be a black turtle bean.

I have cultivated three times so far.  Cultivation includes hilling which kills off most weeds between potatoes.  I use the term hilling but I am no longer adding to the top of the hill but the width.  The potatoes have filled in nicely have started suppressing weeds on their own. Anything between rows gets run over by the tractor in hilling and sweep passes and is good enough to hold them at bay it seems.

Richard Stewart
Carriage House Farm
North Bend, Ohio

An Ohio Century Farm Est. 1855