market-farming - [Market-farming] Harvesting Malabar Spinach

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: Pamela Crowe <sustainableharvestsc AT gmail.com>
  • To: Market Farming <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Harvesting Malabar Spinach
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2010 20:51:24 -0400

Last year I let the malabar spinach grow to about 6" high and then harvested the whole plant(leaves and stem) and sold those at the market. This year I am trying to just harvest the leaves and allow the plant to grow until it starts to flower. Last year meant growing a lot more rows, but less labor investment. This year I have a lot of labor invested and less replanting.

I am not sure which is more cost effective at this point.

Does anyone have info on this or their own perceptions? Is there another way to harvest that I haven't considered?

Pam
SC

  • [Market-farming] Harvesting Malabar Spinach, Pamela Crowe, 06/22/2010