market-farming - [Market-farming] Fava Beans

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "Nora Owens" <noraowens AT comcast.net>
  • To: <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>, <glenecofarm AT planetcomm.net>
  • Subject: [Market-farming] Fava Beans
  • Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 14:31:26 -0400

Christine,
I have been following the Fava Bean discussion for a couple of weeks and
wanted to throw in my 2 cents. During the winter, people shared their
experiences of starting peas in the greenhouse. I tried it this year with
great luck and decided to do the same with fava beans since in MA they grow
so slowly when the ground is cold and are slow to germinate. Then the heat
is too much for them to bear and yields are very low. So, I started them
inside but also warmed the soil with black plastic for both the peas and
fava beans and removed it prior to planting. It isn't a huge planting but I
have harvested more this year from a smaller planting than ever before. It's
worth a try for those with time. My peas have done very well, too.
Nora in western MA

Message: 4