market-farming - Re: [Market-farming] Tomatoes go from shortage to glut

market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Market Farming

  • From: "BarbaraJ" <jbmckillip AT mesanetworks.net>
  • To: "Market Farming" <market-farming AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Market-farming] Tomatoes go from shortage to glut
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 09:04:54 -0600

Same thing happened to me last weekend.  Reseller was mad that we were at this market, supposedly because he was afraid we'd "get big" and then he'd have competition, so he was threatening the market manager about having "too many produce sellers" (there are exactly three of us). HA.  When I explained that we only sold what we grew and that both of us adults here have a "real job" outside of farming (although both of us would love to have it be our main job) he calmed down.  Saw watermelons, tomatoes, cucumbers, sweet corn, cantaloupes, etc in early June in Colorado.  Sadly, folks flock to this table without seeming to understand that the same produce is sold in the local supermarket!  Sort of seems like a lack of truth in advertising.   Then the same folks seem rather surprised that we have cool season crops only, well it's been really, really wet and cold this spring.  I get tired and discouraged sometimes.  But then had a wonderful, tiny, mature woman with a long graying braid come and talk to me for 1/2 hr. in the pouring rain about how beautiful the beets were and how much she loved salad greens but couldn't grow enough in her backyard, so she bought a huge amount of what we had available.  She made my entire day and those people keep me growing.  And honestly, the tomatoes we are just getting in small amounts out of the high tunnel are so sweet that I know just taste testing alone should sell all we have.  I hope it works out well for you Jay.

Barb
Front Range, Colorado